Wednesday, April 18, 2007

What Would I Do?

What would I have done, if I had been at Virginia Tech - - -

I don't know.
I have never been in a situation of live hostile gunfire.

I have had been threatened with a knife, twice.
First time, I stared him down. (This was at a small organizational event, for a high school club. The man who threatened me, in front of a witness, would have gone to jail.)
Second time, was at a high school event. I had an entire football team backing me up.

So neither of those incidents were truly life threatening.

But, my daughter, who will start college next fall, asked about what she should do.

This is what I told her.

First, determine if you are in immediate danger,
if not, determine were the danger lies, and move away from the danger.
if yes, get small, get low, get slow.

Get small - less of a target
Get low - a shooter is more likely to shoot high
Get slow - a person notices fast motion, more than slow motion.

No comments: