Saturday, November 10, 2007

The Code of Conduct

Enacted by Presidential Order in 1955:
The Code of Conduct is a personal code for all members of the US Armed Forces.
It states the tradition established by the soldiers, sailors, marines and airmen since 1775.

Simply put: Keep faith with your countrymen.

Article I: I am an American, fighting in the armed forces which guard
my country and our way of life. I am prepared to give my life in their
defense.


Article II: I will never surrender of my own free will.
If in command I will never surrender the members of my command while
they still have the means to resist.


Article III: If I am
captured, I will continue to resist by all means available. I will make
every effort to escape and aid others to escape. I will accept neither
parole nor special favors from the enemy.


Article IV: If I
become a prisoner of war, I will keep faith with my fellow prisoners. I
will give no information nor take part in any action which might be
harmful to my comrades. If I am senior, I will take command. If not, I
will obey the lawful orders of those appointed over me and will back
them up in every way.


Article V: When questioned, should I
become a prisoner of war, I am required to give name, rank, service,
number, and date of birth. I will evade answering further questions to
the utmost of my ability. I will make no oral or written statements
disloyal to my country and its allies or harmful to their cause.


Article
VI: I will never forget that I am an American, responsible for my
actions, and dedicated to the principles which made my country free. I
will trust in my God and in the United States of America.


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments: